SubjectRe: Conveying memory pressure to userspace?
Bas Westerbaan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Quite a lot of userspace applications cache. Firefox caches pages;
> mySQL caches queries; libc' free (like practically all other
> userspace allocators) won't directly return the first byte of memory
> freed, etc.
>
> These applications are unaware of memory pressure. While the kernel
> is trying its best to to free memory by for instance dropping,
> possibly more valuable caches, userspace is left blissfully unaware.
>
> Obviously this isn't a really big problem, given that we've still got
> swap to swap out those rarely used caches, except for when the caches
> aren't _that_ rarely used and of which the backing store (eg.
> precomputed values) might be faster than the disk to swap back the
> pages from.
>
> A solution would be to either
>
> a) let the application make the kernel aware of pages that, when in
> memory pressure, may be dropped. This would be tricky to implement
> for the userspace: it's hard to avoid an application to race into a
> dropped page. However, the kernel can directly free a page from
> userspace, which makes it use full when under real pressure. This in
> contrast to
> b) letting the application register itself with a cache share
> priority. The application (and other aware applications) would then
> be able to query how fair they are at the moment proportional to their
> cache share priority. Freeing would still be completely in their own
> hands.
>

> The only relevant related matter I could find were madvise and mincore.
>
> With madvise pages can be marked to be unnecessary and these should be
> swapped out earlier. With mincore one can determine whether pages are
> resident (not cached). This would make an existing alternative to
> solution a. However, this doesn't eliminate the writes to the swap
> and polling everytime before accessing a cache isn't really pretty.
>
> I did consider guessing the memory pressure by looking at
> /proc/meminfo, but I think it isn't that accurate.

The prev_priority field in the zoneinfo stuff is more useful for
memory pressure. I'm playing with making a blocking callback that
can wake someone up when this gets down to a certain priority level
(prio=12 => everything's rosy, prio=0 => we're in deep shit).

> Before hacking something together (and being uncertain about the
> thoroughness with which I searched for existing work, sorry), I would
> like your thoughts on this.
>
> Please CC me, I'm not in the list.
>
> Bas

  Last update: 2007-05-11 03:57    [W:0.334 / U:0.092 seconds]