SubjectRe: [RFC] Slab allocators: Drop support for destructors
On 5/10/07, Christoph Lameter <clameter@sgi.com> wrote:
> Or are there valid reason to keep them around? It seems they were mainly
> used for list management which required them to take a spinlock. Taking a
> spinlock in a destructor is a bit risky since the slab allocators may run
> the destructors anytime they decide a slab is no longer needed.
>
> Or do we want to continue support destructors? If so why?

Well, constructors are on their way out too because they don't seem to
give the performance benefit they were designed for anymore. As for
destructors, they have been pretty useless in Linux for a long time
now and we really don't do much "complex initialization" that requires
undo (releasing resources).

Looks good to me.

Acked-by: Pekka Enberg <penberg@cs.helsinki.fi>

Pekka

  Last update: 2007-05-10 21:23    [W:0.063 / U:0.464 seconds]