SubjectRe: Long file names in VFAT broken with iocharset=utf8
Date
Albert Cahalan <acahalan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/9/07, Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@mail.ru> wrote:

>> 3. this still does not answer how can I *create* long name from within Linux.
>
> WTF? These names are too annoying to use, even if there
> weren't this limit. Anything over about 29 characters is in
> need of a rename. (that'd be 58 bytes for you, which is OK)
> The limit is already 4 times larger than what is reasonable.

Just because you limit yourself to 80 chars minus "ls -l"-clutter, this is
no reason why I shouldn't use long filenames. If I need to handle these
filenames, I can enlarge the terminal window or read the next line.

E.g.: I have a music file named "artist - title.ext", where the artist
name is 103 characters long, using abbreviations. In order to enter that
name, I have to press seven keys, including the escape character.
There is nothing unreasonable in using that name.

If I could not use these filenames, I'd have to use e.g. numbers instead of
filenames and a database containing the mapping from name to number,
duplicating the function of a directory. That's bullsh... . You should rather
bump NAME_MAX and, if you are concerned about legacy applications, make it
optional. Having some names to be illegal becaue of their length on a
filesystem not allowing command.com metacharacters is not a problem.
--
Funny quotes:
3. On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Friß, Spammer: EhyjCDo@iEtm.7eggert.dyndns.org TK@cvhuFFu.7eggert.dyndns.org