SubjectRe: 2.6.21 frozen for a few minutes, swapping to disk
On Tue, 01 May 2007 15:42:30 +1000 Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> > hm, a genuine oom on an all-ext3 data=ordered i386 system, just like a
> > million other people. How very weird.
> >
> > I assume all those pages on the LRU are pagecache pages which for some
> > reason we're unable to reclaim.
>
> It looks like it used up all swap? I'd guess a memory leak in some
> application, or maybe a page refcount leak somewhere.

yes, I missed that. The number of mapped pages is tiny so the thing has
been trying to swap out like.

The question is: how much memory is free after the oom-killing storm?
If it's "lots" then it's probably an application problem. If it's
"not much" then perhaps there's a kernel leak.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans