    SubjectRe: sparse -Wptr-subtraction-blows: still needed?
    On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 05:24:54PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > The only thing that was gcc-specific about it is that gcc goes to some
    > extreme lengths to turn the constant-sized division into a sequence of
    > shifts/multiples/subtracts, and can often turn a division into something
    > like ten cheaper operations instead.
    >
    > But that optimization was also what made gcc take such a long time if the
    > constant division is very common (ie a header file with an inline
    > function, whether that function is actually _used_ or not apparently
    > didn't matter to gcc)

    There used to be a Dumb Algorithm(tm) in there - basically, gcc went through
    all decompositions of constant it was multiplying at and it did it in the
    dumbest way possible (== without keeping track of the things like "oh, we'd
    already looked at the best way to multiply by 69, no need to redo that
    again and again)"). _That_ is what blew the build time to hell for a while.
    And yes, that particular idiocy got fixed (they added a moderately-sized
    LRU of triplets <constant, price, best way to multiply on it>, which killed
    recalculation from scratch for each pointer subtraction and got complexity
    of dealing with individual subtraction into tolerable range).

    That's separate from runtime issues, of course.

      Last update: 2007-05-02 02:39    [W:0.020 / U:0.648 seconds]