    SubjectRe: console font limits
    On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 12:09:46AM -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:

    > BTW, the PSF font format documentation seems to suggest that
    > there is a way to make the kernel handle combining accents:
    > http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/font-formats-1.html
    > Does anybody know if that really works? I could sure use that.

    My reading of it suggests you need a precomposed version to which
    the combining combination can be mapped (the 00c5 for Å in the
    example). Possibly, the fffe and ffff are used as delimiters for
    the combination). Maybe, it could be used for yoruba (yeah, I was
    looking at that an hour before I read your mails) _if_ the font
    has room to fit in a "private use" character which can hold the
    precomposed value.

    For any letter where a precomposed version is in the unicode
    standards, the only use for combining characters in a console font
    seems to be as a way of displaying text where somebody has already
    used them.

    For latin languages which need additional composed letters, the
    bigger problem will probably be the input - I've no idea if the
    console keymap can use combining keys (direct input of the unicode
    hex is available, of course), and I can't manage to get the direct
    input of the codes for combining diacriticals to work in combination
    in my preferred graphical terminal.

    Ken