    SubjectI give up
    Greetings Guys & Dolls;

    I give up, I'm whupped.

    When I installed FC6, I let it use LVM2 to handle the disks because I was
    tired of fighting with the most broken, nasty, evil disk partitioner ever
    dreamed up, disk druid. I personally think that abomination was written
    by an M$ plant, specifically to poison users against linux.

    Now the 64k$ question: While running with LVM2 managed disks, is it
    possible to run without dm_mod, the device-mapper? If so, please tell me
    how to achieve this.

    I rebooted last night, from 2.6.21-rc6 to 2.6.21-rc6 and for some reason
    device-mapper went from #252 (cat /proc/devices) to #254, and has also
    been seen at #253 in addition to the temporary address of #238 where it
    was before that patch was reverted for 2.6.21-rc6

    Anytime this changes, the device numbers in a stat report change, and tar
    thinks its all new & restarts everything on a 45GB system from a level 0.
    My vtape setup only has room for 8.5GB per vtape, so the catchup time is
    many days. I can speed that up by temporarily making the vtape bigger in
    my amanda.conf, but now the disk itself that the vtapes are on is at 96%
    and will not tolerate another such catchup run.

    So I'm pleading for either a stable, known address for device-mapper, or a
    workaround that will immunize tar against its apparently uncontrolled
    wanderings.

    Please, pretty please, with sugar and cream in it even, please, give some
    stability to this situation....

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

      Last update: 2007-04-09 16:11    [W:4.063 / U:0.176 seconds]