    SubjectRe: Ten percent test

    * Ingo Molnar <> wrote:

    > > My question then, is why did it take a very public cat-fight to get
    > > this looked at and the code adjusted? Its been what, nearly 2 years
    > > since Linus himself made a comment that this thing needed fixed.
    > > The fixes then done were of very little actual effectiveness and the
    > > situation then has gradually deteriorated since.
    > this is pretty hard to get right, and the most objective way to change
    > it is to do it testcase-driven. FYI, interactivity tweaking has been
    > gradual, the last bigger round of interactivity changes were done a
    > year ago:

    and note that a year ago Mike did a larger patch too, not unlike his
    current patch - but we hoped that his smaller change would be sufficient
    - and nobody came along and said "i tested Mike's and the difference is
    significant on my system". Which seems to suggest that the number of
    problem-systems and worried users/developers isnt particularly large.

      Last update: 2007-04-08 13:01    [W:0.020 / U:28.564 seconds]