SubjectRe: Add a norecovery option to ext3/4?
Samuel Thibault wrote:

>> Hm, so the root cause there seems that the installer found 2 legs of a
>> mirror and mounted them independently, recovering them independently...
>> But why did that cause problems?
>
> Because that thrashed his data (or at least it didn't help to keep data
> safe).
>
>> Other options you may have in the installer, though, is to check for
>> md superblocks before mounting bare partitions, or maybe use the
>> BLKROSET ioctl to set the block device to read-only prior to mount,
>> for added insurance...
>
> That's one the things proposed in the bugreport yes.

The reason I suggest other options is because intentionally mounting a
corrupted FS may not really be the way you want to go... norecovery on
xfs at least is an option of last resort, not something to use by default.

-Eric

  Last update: 2007-04-09 05:45    [W:0.097 / U:0.452 seconds]