SubjectRe: Reiser4. BEST FILESYSTEM EVER.
Date
On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 11:21:19 -0400, "Jan Harkes" <jaharkes@cs.cmu.edu>
said:
> Do you really have to repeat the results in every email you sent?

The following benchmarks are from

http://linuxhelp.150m.com/resources/fs-benchmarks.htm or,
http://m.domaindlx.com/LinuxHelp/resources/fs-benchmarks.htm

.-------------------------.
| FILESYSTEM | TIME |DISK |
| TYPE |(secs)|USAGE|
.-------------------------.
|REISER4 lzo | 1938 | 278 |
|REISER4 gzip| 2295 | 213 |
|REISER4 | 3462 | 692 |
|EXT2 | 4092 | 816 |
|JFS | 4225 | 806 |
|EXT4 | 4408 | 816 |
|EXT3 | 4421 | 816 |
|XFS | 4625 | 779 |
|REISER3 | 6178 | 793 |
|FAT32 |12342 | 988 |
|NTFS-3g |10414 | 772 |
.-------------------------.

Column one measures the time taken to complete the bonnie++ benchmarking
test (run with the parameters bonnie++ -n128:128k:0)

Column two, Disk Usage: measures the amount of disk used to store 655MB
of raw data (which was 3 different copies of the Linux kernel sources).

> Do you really have to repeat the results in every email you sent?

Damn, I did it again. WHY DO YOU CARE?

Look, its simple, I am (among other things) discussing these results, so
people need to see them.

> > Don't you agree, that "If they are accurate,.... THEN they are obviously
> > very relevant."
>
> Not everyone does. I care mostly about reliability and availability
> neither of which are shown by your results.

Actually, to some extent, bonnie++ tests the reliability of the
filesystem, eg, NTFS-3g usually fails.

By the way, I have pulled the plug on my REISER4 system, a number of
times now, and it recovers without problem.

> With compression there is a pretty high probability that one corrupted
> byte or disk block will result in loss of a considerably larger amount
> of data.

Bad blocks are NOT dealt with by the filesystem,... so your comment is
irrelevant, or just plain wrong.

If your filesystem is writing to bad blocks, then throw away your
operating system.

> > I have set up a Reiser4 partition with gzip compression, here is the
> > difference in disk usage of a typical Debian installation on two 10GB
> > partitions, one with Reiser3 and the other with Reiser4.
> >
> > debian:/# df
> > Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/sda3 10490104 6379164 4110940 61% /3
> > /dev/sda7 9967960 2632488 7335472 27% /7
> > Partition 3 is Reiser3 -- uses 6.4 GB.
> > Partition 7 is Reiser4 -- uses 2.6 GB.
> >
> > So Reiser4 uses 2.6 GB to store the (typical) data that it takes Reiser3
> > 6.4 GB to store (note it would take ext2/3/4 some 7 GB to store the same
> > info).
>
> Wow, consider me totally and completely, unimpressed.

Wow, consider me totally impressed by your AMAZING BIAS.

Would you like to tell me why you are SO BIASED against REISER4.

John.
--

johnrobertbanks@fastmail.fm