    SubjectRe: init's children list is long and slows reaping children.
    On 04/06, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

    > Thinking about it I do agree with Linus that two lists sounds like the
    > right solution because it ensures we always have O(1) time when
    > waiting for a zombie.

    Well. I bet this will be painful, and will uglify the code even more.

    do_wait() has to iterate over 2 lists, __ptrace_unlink() should check
    ->exit_state, etc...

    > I'd like to place the list head for the zombie
    > list in the signal_struct and not in the task_struct so our
    > performance continues to be O(1) when we have a threaded process.

    Sure. It would be nice to move ->children into signal_struct at first.
    Except this change breaks (in fact fixes) ->pdeath_signal behaviour.

    > The big benefit of the zombie list over your proposed list reordering
    > is that waitpid can return immediately when we don't have zombies to
    > wait for, but we have lots of children.

    TASK_TRACED/TASK_STOPPED ?

    Oleg.

      Last update: 2007-04-06 19:29    [W:0.019 / U:121.676 seconds]