    SubjectRe: arch/i386/boot rewrite, and all the hard-coded video cards
    Date
    "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> writes:

    > Eric W. Biederman wrote:

    >>> Simplicity? That must be why x86 motherbords are shipping with (compressed)
    >>> 8MB BIOS flash chips now.
    >>
    >> Those would be 8 megabit chips, and those would be server motherboards
    >> you are looking. Most likely the ones that are starting to think ahead
    >> to EFI support.
    >>

    > No, 4-8 MB chips are starting to be deployed, but the bulk is for
    > OS-less applications.

    I don't doubt that there are some rare systems with very large
    capacity flash chips. However the size of all BIOS chips are measured
    in bits. Anyone talking about the capacity of BIOS chips in bytes
    and not bits always raises a red flag with me because that is a very
    common mistake.

    I would be very surprised if the high volume commodity boards have
    exceeded 8 megabits.

    Eric

      Last update: 2007-05-01 05:45    [W:0.022 / U:175.960 seconds]