    SubjectRe: arch/i386/boot rewrite, and all the hard-coded video cards
    Dave Jones wrote:

    > I don't really care, but I wonder what the point is of rewriting something
    > that hardly ever gets notably changed, and is rarely (if ever?) a source
    > of bugs. It might be crufty old assembly, but it's worked well for years.

    Well, it hardly gets notably changed because it is a nightmare to get it
    right, and when it is changed, it is likely to be a bug magnet. The
    sheer number of bugs I have found in the process of figuring out what
    the current code is doing is pretty much evidence of that. I'm
    surprised fewer bugs are actually manifest, but I guess that shows how
    little of the code is actually used.

    The "solution" that people have been employing has been to require the
    use of special bootloaders for different environments, which enter at
    code32_start instead. Hardly an improvement.

    -hpa

      Last update: 2007-05-01 04:21    [W:0.020 / U:34.780 seconds]