    SubjectRe: [git patches] libata updates
    Jeff Garzik wrote:

    >Chuck Ebbert wrote:
    >>Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >>>Jeff Garzik (8):
    >>> libata/IDE: remove combined mode quirk
    >>You can't just remove the "combined_mode=" kernel parameter or
    >>every Linux user who uses that will get an unbootable kernel
    >>with no good way of diagnosing the problem. It should still
    >>be accepted and just print a warning.
    >No, most modern distros will simply Just Work(tm) due to mount by label,
    >udev, and similar gadgets.
    >As long as you have at least one (if not both) ATA drivers, you have a
    >kernel that will boot your hardware. And by definition those using
    >combined_mode= do indeed have the necessary drivers.
    > Jeff
    >the body of a message to
    >More majordomo info at
    >Please read the FAQ at
    Please don't do this!

    Yeah the kernel will boot but the hd performance is sh*t on my laptop. I
    am running FC6 with
    kernel 2.6.21 and without the combined_mode setting my disk performance
    goes down to a
    whopping 1.25mb/sec from 44mb/sec when I boot with combined_mode=libata.
    It make my
    system unusable!

    "They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
    deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

    decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)

      Last update: 2007-04-30 22:24    [W:0.065 / U:43.720 seconds]