    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.21
    From
    On Mon, April 30, 2007 01:41, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
    > Developers are just humans and if they have no incentive to
    > act on a bug report they will ignore it. I think this is a
    > fact that you have to deal with.

    Reporters are just humans too and if they have no incentive to
    post bugs they won't. So it's a lose/lose situation, really.
    With a group of people working together they should try to
    motivate each other, not demoralize everyone.

    (I know, each bug report is a pain, voicing someone's failure.
    So ignoring it might make people feel better, but it doesn't
    fix anything.)

    > It's also not necessarily the fault of the reporter if
    > a bug report gets ignored, but for every report a developer
    > has to make a decision to handle it or not, and there are
    > lots of reasons why he may decide to not handle it, or
    > at least not now (and then forget about it).

    True. There's also a difference between a bad bug report and
    one that a specific developer won't handle. In the former case
    anyone could recognize it and tell the reporter about it. The
    latter is a bit trickier, but if the developer thinks about
    looking at it later, he better can tell the reporter just that.
    A short "I'll take a look at it, later, when I've more time."
    is so much better than plain silence.

    > But I'm quite sure that an important bug would be reported
    > again until fixed.

    I wouldn't be so sure about that. What's worse, why would the
    reporter bother telling that the bug is fixed in version N+1?
    No one cared about it anyway, so there's no one to tell it to.
    That would explain a lot open bugs too.

    Greetings,

    Indan

      Last update: 2007-04-30 02:09    [W:4.116 / U:0.040 seconds]