    > > But emailed reports _are_ saved anyway and we _know_ how to get a copy.
    > > From, for example. Why don't we use that? The only missing piece
    > > is the 'keep a list' thing, but that's not a rocket science, IMHO.
    > >
    > > [For example, you can create a bugzilla entry with a link to the copy
    > > of the relevant message, so why to require the reporter to file the report with
    > > the bugzilla himself?]
    > >
    > > _Moreover_, some LKML archives, for example at,
    > > keep track of each thread separately, so you can browse any of them at any
    > > time. In particular, you can see the _history_ of each bug report sent to LKML
    > > if you have a link to any message in its thread.
    > >
    > > Really, if we ask reporters to put '[BUG]' in the subjects of their messages,
    > > you'll even be able to use the archives plus wget and a couple of
    > > shell scripts to cherry pick the links to all bug reports sent to the list
    > > within a given time interval.
    > >
    > > All of this functionality is out there already.
    > How can I get the functionality "show me all unfixed SATA bugs"?
    > That's one of the important functionalities of every bug tracking
    > system.

    That's the missing piece, obviously.

    BTW, I didn't want to say that one could entirely replace a bug-tracking system
    with tracking the LKML archives. What I wanted to say was that the email
    messages sent to the LKML were easily trackable and could be hooked up into a
    bug-tracking system, for example with the help of URLs.

    In such a setup people could send initial reports to the LKML and the links to
    these messages might be put into a bug-tracking system as soon as it turned
    out that the bugs were worthy of tracking.

      Last update: 2007-04-29 23:59    [W:0.034 / U:108.768 seconds]