    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.21
    On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 08:50:55PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > On Sunday, 29 April 2007 19:37, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > > > My personal experience with bugzilla is that it's very unfriendly to
    > > > reporters. IMHO it's suitable for tracking unresolved problems along with
    > > > debug patches, system information etc., but not for _reporting_ new ones.
    > >
    > > What did you find unfriendly?
    > - You are required to select a category and 'component' for your report, which
    > often is difficult (especially if you're not a kernel expert)

    Usually there is other and then someone else figures it out.

    > - You need to have a bugzilla account (or to create one, if you don't)
    > - If you want to add an address to the CC list, it must be known to bugzilla
    > and there's no (obvious) way to check which addresses are known (bugzilla
    > rejects the report if there's a 'wrong' email address in the list) [IMO this is
    > really really broken.]

    The Novell bugzilla actually has that fixed. You have a search email button
    to look up addresses. Perhaps that feature will be ported someday into
    the one (I would like to have it too)

    > - You are asked to provide many details that need not be relevant and casual
    > reporters don't know that they can skip this part
    > - Attaching files is tedious and referring to attachments unintuitive

    Anyways that are mostly all detail (except the registration requirement) that
    could be probably all easily fixed.

    > And I think they are two _totally_ conceptually different things. You report
    > a bug to let somebody know that there's a problem and this doesn't necessarily

    The problem is we need a way to route those reports to the right people.
    Routing it to a single person or broadcasting it just doesn't scale.
    And the best way I know of is to use some database that keeps track of the state.

    That is what bugzilla is essentially.

    > For this reason there should be a simple means of filing initial bug reports
    > with someone to look at them and forward them to appropriate people who will
    > decide if the problem needs to be tracked. If they do, it's time to use
    > bugzilla. Not earlier.

    The only sane way to do that would be to save them somewhere and keep
    a list and then let a group of people process them.

    Hmm, wait... sounds like bugzilla, doesn't it?

    > You are right, email is not suitable for tracking bugs. Still, it works quite
    > well as a means of sending initial reports.

    I disagree. It works small scale but does not really scale well.

      Last update: 2007-04-29 21:17    [W:0.029 / U:2.472 seconds]