SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.21
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, David Miller wrote:

> From: "Markus Rechberger" <mrechberger@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 00:58:09 +0200

>>> No, it just shows that bugzilla doesn't matter for most of the kernel.
>>>
>>> Don't say that "bugzilla tells how bad we are at handling bugs". It tells
>>> how bad *bugzilla* is for handling bugs, nothing more.
>>>

>> I totally disagree here, bugzilla is a very good tool.
>
> No, Bugzilla really does suck, and I personally refuse to use it when
> I have a choice. And guess what? You better be concerned about that
> because I maintain all of the networking code :-)
>
> It puts the onus FAR too much on the developer and not enough on the
> reporter and other minions. We have a small resource of developers,
> yet lots of users, bug reporters, and minions, so something that
> doesn't take advantage of the larger resource we have is going to
> not function efficiently at all. Yet that is what bugzilla does.

I'll say that as a user I hate having to deal with bugzilla.

there's nothing more frustrating then spending a good chunk of time trying to
find a similar bug, then jumping through all the bugzilla hoops to file a report
to eventually (days/weeks later) get a message 'closed becouse it's a duplicate
report), then have to go and track down what it's a duplicate of, read through
that bug report, only to find that it's not solved there either, and to top it
off, the people working on that bug won't see my report or that I'm available to
troubleshoot it.

from a user poit of view, e-mailing the kernel list (retrying a few days later
of there is no response) tends to work _much_ better.

David Lang

  Last update: 2007-04-29 09:25    [W:0.273 / U:0.368 seconds]