    SubjectRe: random thoughts on DEPRECATED and OBSOLETE
    On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Stefan Richter wrote:

    > I see a discussion on OBSOLETE vs. BROKEN there, which even ended in
    > a consensus, but I do not see an explicit discussion on OBSOLETE vs.
    > DEPRECATED.

    i think this online definition matches what i have in mind:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-10,GGGL:en&defl=en&q=define:Deprecated&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

    "A deprecated element or attribute is one that has been outdated by
    newer constructs. Deprecated elements are defined in the reference
    manual in appropriate locations, but are clearly marked as deprecated.
    Deprecated elements may become obsolete in future versions of HTML. We
    recommend that authors avoid using deprecated elements and attributes
    whenever practical."

    note carefully how deprecated elements can still be used, but their
    use is discouraged and they *may become obsolete*. that's exactly
    what i was getting at. deprecated stuff *might* still be used;
    obsolete stuff *shouldn't* be used.

    rday

    p.s. just FYI, even *i'm* getting bored of this. :-)

      Last update: 2007-04-29 01:41    [W:0.022 / U:1.340 seconds]