    SubjectRe: [ext3][kernels >= 2.6.20.7 at least] KDE going comatose when FS is under heavy write load (massive starvation)
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, John Anthony Kazos Jr. wrote:
    >> Could[/should] this stuff be changed from ratios to amounts? Or a quick
    >> boot-time test to use a ratio if the memory is small and an amount (like
    >> tax brackets, I would expect) if it's great?
    >
    > Yes, the "percentage" thing was likely wrong. That said, there *is* some
    > correlation between "lots of memory" and "high-end machine", and that in
    > turn tends to correlate with "fast disk", so I don't think the percentage
    > approach is really *horribly* wrong.
    >
    > The main issue with the percentage is that we do export them as such
    > through the /proc/ interface, and they are easy to change and understand.
    > So changing them to amounts is non-trivial if you also want to support the
    > old interfaces - and the advantage isn't obvious enough that it's a
    > clear-cut case.

    I wonder if it would be useful if the limit was 'data we can write out
    in 1 (configurable) second. This would typically mean either one 50mb
    (depending on disk) contigous block or 100-200 scattered blocks (since
    the typical disk latency is about 5-10ms).

    Has anyone tried something like this?

    Mark

      Last update: 2007-04-27 21:49    [W:0.022 / U:32.888 seconds]