    SubjectRe: [ext3][kernels >= at least] KDE going comatose when FS is under heavy write load (massive starvation)

    On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, John Anthony Kazos Jr. wrote:
    > Could[/should] this stuff be changed from ratios to amounts? Or a quick
    > boot-time test to use a ratio if the memory is small and an amount (like
    > tax brackets, I would expect) if it's great?

    Yes, the "percentage" thing was likely wrong. That said, there *is* some
    correlation between "lots of memory" and "high-end machine", and that in
    turn tends to correlate with "fast disk", so I don't think the percentage
    approach is really *horribly* wrong.

    The main issue with the percentage is that we do export them as such
    through the /proc/ interface, and they are easy to change and understand.
    So changing them to amounts is non-trivial if you also want to support the
    old interfaces - and the advantage isn't obvious enough that it's a
    clear-cut case.

      Last update: 2007-04-27 17:59    [W:0.019 / U:21.260 seconds]