    SubjectRe: [00/17] Large Blocksize Support V3
    On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Nick Piggin wrote:

    > For the TLB issue, higher order pagecache doesn't help. If distros
    > ship with a 4K page size on powerpc, and use some larger pages in
    > the pagecache, some people are still going to get angry because
    > they wanted to use 64K pages... But I agree 64K pages is too big
    > for most things anyway, and 16 would be better as a default (which
    > hopefully x86-64 will get one day).

    Powerpc supports multiple pagesizes. Maybe we could make mmap use those
    page sizes some day if we had a variable order page cache. Your stands on
    the issue means that powerpc will be forever crippled and not be able to
    use its full potential.

    > Anyway, for io performance, there are alternatives, dispite what
    > some people seem to be saying. We can submit larger sglists to the
    > device for larger ios, which Jens is looking at (which could help
    > all types of workloads, not just those with sequential large file
    > IO).

    Right this could help but it is not addressing the basic requirement for
    devices that need large contiguuos chunks of memory for I/O.

      Last update: 2007-04-27 14:15    [W:0.032 / U:54.848 seconds]