    SubjectRe: Back to the future.
    Hi!

    > >This is basically the loop above, made complex by the fact that we do
    > >not want to have separate partition for snapshot; we just want to
    > >reuse free space in swap partition.
    >
    > with the size of drives today is it really that bad to require a seperate
    > partition for this?

    Yes. You want uswsusp to work in situations where swsusp worked.

    > I also don't like the idea of storing this in the swap partition for a
    > couple of reasons.
    >
    > 1. on many modern linux systems the swap partition is not large enough.
    >
    > for example, on my boxes with 16G or ram I only allocate 2G of swap
    > space

    WTF? So allocate larger swap partition. You just told me disks are big
    enough.

    > 2. it's too easy for other things to stomp on your swap partition.
    >
    > for example: booting from a live CD that finds and uses swap
    > partitions

    That's a feature. If you are booting from live CD, you _want_ to erase
    any hibernation image.

    > if you are needing space for your freeze, allocate it in an unabigous way,
    > not by re-useing an existing partition.

    Of course you have that option. Writing image is done in userspace, so
    you are free to write it to raw partition (and first versions indeed
    done that).
    Pavel