SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.21
Jeff Garzik wrote:

>IMO, the closer you look, the more warts you find. Before you starting
>doing your work with kernel regressions, no one was really tracking it.
> I bet you have helped cut down on the regressions, but I have no good
>way to quantify my gut feeling.
>
>Additional comments on developers and fixing regressions:
>
>* Sometimes seeing a long list, peoples' eyes glaze over. Its just
>human nature. A long list also gives us no idea of scale, or severity.
> I bet a weekly "top 10 bugs and regressions" email would help focus
>developer attention.
>
>* To be effective, lists, either long or top-10, must be pruned if you
>get a sense that only one user is affected. [With oopses and BUGs as a
>clear exception,] many problems benefit from at least two users
>reporting a bug.
>
>* It gets a bit tiresome to field the large number of driver bug reports
>that eventually turn out to be related to broken interrupt handling
>somehow. I think we developers need to get better at showing users how
>to isolate driver vs. PCI/ACPI/core bugs. Maybe drivers need to start
>introducing interrupt delivery tests into their probe code. Overall,
>broken interrupt handling manifests in several ways, most of which
>initially appear symptomatic of a broken driver.
>
> Jeff
>

>-

Jeff,

If hardware worked in the previous version of the kernel can't users expect
the same hardware to work in this kernel?

Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)

  Last update: 2007-04-26 21:17    [W:0.330 / U:0.612 seconds]