    SubjectRe: [00/17] Large Blocksize Support V3
    On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

    > If you can make small things go fast, everything speeds up.
    > If you can only make big things go fast only some things speed up.
    >
    > I want to make small things go fast so everything speeds up.

    A reductionist operating system theory? Have you ever heard of emergent
    properties? A system comprised of pieces can as a whole exibit other
    characteristics than the basic elements would provide.

    I think it is wrong to use the same small things for big things. You
    would not tow a tanker with your bicycle. Similarly you could use small
    pages for text files but huge page sizes when you need to transfer
    gigabytes or terabytes of memory. Its wrong to dictate ones size fits
    all. (Memories of my relatives in the eastern bloc surface but I better shut up.)

      Last update: 2007-04-26 21:03    [W:0.022 / U:0.416 seconds]