    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.21
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > In other words, there's a _reason_ we have staggered development. We have
    > the "crazy development trees" (aka -mm and various other trees), we have
    > the "development tree" (aka Linus' tree), and we have the -stable tree. If
    > the stable tree has a dozen known issues that they'll have to sort out
    > over the next two months, that's *fine*. That's kind of the point of the
    > stable tree.

    If the result is fixing things which then don't get fixed in mainline,
    as Adrian notes, then there is something wrong with the process, and why
    will people bother to work on stable if they have doubts that there will
    be long term benefit.

    With all the effort the regressions list takes and the stable group puts
    into fixes, someone in charge should insist that regressions fixed in
    stable be fixed in mainline. Since there's only one "someone in charge"
    of policy, I think that's a reasonable commitment to the people doing
    the work.

    --
    Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>