    SubjectRe: [00/17] Large Blocksize Support V3
    On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 05:42:17PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > Actually, I don't know why people are so excited about being able to
    > use higher order allocations (I would rather be more excited about
    > never having to use them). But for those few places that really need
    > it, I'd rather see them use a virtually mapped kernel with proper
    > defragmentation rather than putting hacks all through the core code.

    In memory as on disk, contiguity matters a lot for performance.

    On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 05:42:17PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > I don't think that it is solved, and I think the heuristics that are
    > there would be put under more stress if they become widely used. And
    > it isn't only about whether we can get the page or not, but also about
    > the cost. Look up Linus's arguments about page colouring, which are
    > similar and I also think are pretty valid.

    Perhaps broader exposure would help demonstrate their efficacy, or
    otherwise discover what deficits need to be addressed.

    -- wli

      Last update: 2007-04-26 16:55    [W:0.021 / U:32.848 seconds]