SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.21
Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 06:08:06AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
>>What I will NOT do:
>>Waste my time with tracking 2.6.22-rc regressions.
>

> I sure hope you don't do this.
>
> Tracking these is tough, and I think you are doing a great job with it.
>
> No release will have no regressions, there's just too many different
> combinations of hardware and sometimes people don't have the time to
> test to see if their original report is even fixed or not.
>
> And some of them will get fixed with patches coming in the next kernel
> release, which will then be tracked down and added to the -stable
> releases.
>
> So if you can, please keep it up, if you think it's a thankless job,
> here's my hearty thanks for doing this work. It's really needed and I
> really appreciate it.

Fifthed here, Adrian. It could potentially become one of the best things
to happen to the mainline release process (and I believe has already been
worthwhile). Even if it takes a while for people to get on board, or some
regressions slip through. And note, a release with regressions doesn't
make your hard work useless -- you've still got the important who, when,
how, etc. info that can be used in future, and it could serve as a "known
issues for upgraders" document as well.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.