    SubjectRe: suspend2 merge (was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: CFS and suspend2: hang in atomic copy)
    On 4/25/07, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
    > > Please stop using FUD.
    > > Graphical progress it's not in the kernel, even with suspend2.
    >
    > It was ascii-art, but still 'graphical', last time I checked.

    Suspend2 talks to an userspace client via netlink. While I find the
    name of the message ("redraw UI") rather appaling, there's nothing
    wrong in principle that userspace starts the suspend process and the
    kernel keeps feeding back progress information ("I froze all processes
    now") so it can display a graphical progress bar.

    The real question here is what to do with compression and encryption.
    However, if you settle for one compression algorithm (such as LZF in
    the case of suspend2) and use the _existing_ in-kernel crypto API for
    encryption, suddenly the benefits of userspace suspend are not clear.

    As you and Rafael seem to be mostly interested in uswsusp, why don't
    we replace the old in-kernel implementation with suspend2?

    Pekka

      Last update: 2007-04-26 13:15    [W:0.024 / U:60.072 seconds]