SubjectChunkFS - measuring cross-chunk references
On 4/24/07, Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 02:53:33PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> It would also be good to distinguish between directories referencing
> files in another chunk, and directories referencing subdirectories in
> another chunk (which would be simpler to handle, given the topological
> restrictions on directories, as compared to files and hard links).

Modified the tool to distinguish between
1. cross references between directories and files
2. cross references between directories and sub directories
3. cross references within a file (due to huge file size)

Below is the result from / partition of ext3 file system:

Number of files = 221794
Number of directories = 24457
Total size = 8193116 KB
Total data stored = 7187392 KB
Size of block groups = 131072 KB
Number of inodes per block group = 16288
No. of cross references between directories and sub-directories = 7791
No. of cross references between directories and file = 657
Total no. of cross references = 62018 (dir ref = 8448, file ref = 53570)

Thanks for the suggestions.

> There may also be special things we will need to do to handle
> scenarios such as BackupPC, where if it looks like a directory
> contains a huge number of hard links to a particular chunk, we'll need
> to make sure that directory is either created in the right chunk
> (possibly with hints from the application) or migrated to the right
> chunk (but this might cause the inode number of the directory to
> change --- maybe we allow this as long as the directory has never been
> stat'ed, so that the inode number has never been observed).
>
> The other thing which we should consider is that chunkfs really
> requires a 64-bit inode number space, which means either we only allow
> it on 64-bit systems, or we need to consider a migration so that even
> on 32-bit platforms, stat() functions like stat64(), insofar that it
> uses a stat structure which returns a 64-bit ino_t.
>
> - Ted

Thanks,
Karuna
[unhandled content-type:application/x-bzip2]

  Last update: 2007-04-25 02:23    [W:0.394 / U:0.032 seconds]