SubjectRe: [REPORT] cfs-v4 vs sd-0.44

> Within reason, it's not the number of clients that X has that causes its
> CPU bandwidth use to sky rocket and cause problems. It's more to to
> with what type of clients they are. Most GUIs (even ones that are
> constantly updating visual data (e.g. gkrellm -- I can open quite a
> large number of these without increasing X's CPU usage very much)) cause
> very little load on the X server. The exceptions to this are the

there is actually 2 and not just 1 "X server", and they are VERY VERY
different in behavior.

Case 1: Accelerated driver

If X talks to a decent enough card it supports will with acceleration,
it will be very rare for X itself to spend any kind of significant
amount of CPU time, all the really heavy stuff is done in hardware, and
asynchronously at that. A bit of batching will greatly improve system
performance in this case.

Case 2: Unaccelerated VESA

Some drivers in X, especially the VESA and NV drivers (which are quite
common, vesa is used on all hardware without a special driver nowadays),
have no or not enough acceleration to matter for modern desktops. This
means the CPU is doing all the heavy lifting, in the X program. In this
case even a simple "move the window a bit" becomes quite a bit of a CPU
hog already.

The cases are fundamentally different in behavior, because in the first
case, X hardly consumes the time it would get in any scheme, while in
the second case X really is CPU bound and will happily consume any CPU
time it can get.

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org