SubjectRe: crash with CFS v4 and qemu/kvm (was: [patch] CFS scheduler, v4)

* Christian Hesse <mail@earthworm.de> wrote:

> On Friday 20 April 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > i'm pleased to announce release -v4 of the CFS patchset.
>
> Hi Ingo, hi Avi, hi all,
>
> I'm trying to use kvm-20 with cfs v4 and get a crash:
>
> eworm@revo:~$ /usr/local/kvm/bin/qemu -snapshot /mnt/data/virtual/qemu/winxp.img
> kvm_run: failed entry, reason 7
> kvm_run returned -8
>
> It works (though it is a bit slow) if I start qemu with strace, so for
> me it looks like a race condition?

hm. Can you work it around with:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_granularity_ns
?

If yes then this is a wakeup race: some piece of code relies on the
upstream scheduler preempting the waker task immediately in 99% of the
cases.

and you might want to test -v5 too which i released earlier today. It
has no bugfix in this area though, so it will likely still trigger this
race - but it will also hopefully be even more pleasant to use than -v4
;-)

Ingo

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans