    SubjectRe: crash with CFS v4 and qemu/kvm (was: [patch] CFS scheduler, v4)

    * Christian Hesse <> wrote:

    > On Friday 20 April 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > > i'm pleased to announce release -v4 of the CFS patchset.
    > Hi Ingo, hi Avi, hi all,
    > I'm trying to use kvm-20 with cfs v4 and get a crash:
    > eworm@revo:~$ /usr/local/kvm/bin/qemu -snapshot /mnt/data/virtual/qemu/winxp.img
    > kvm_run: failed entry, reason 7
    > kvm_run returned -8
    > It works (though it is a bit slow) if I start qemu with strace, so for
    > me it looks like a race condition?

    hm. Can you work it around with:

    echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_granularity_ns

    If yes then this is a wakeup race: some piece of code relies on the
    upstream scheduler preempting the waker task immediately in 99% of the

    and you might want to test -v5 too which i released earlier today. It
    has no bugfix in this area though, so it will likely still trigger this
    race - but it will also hopefully be even more pleasant to use than -v4