    SubjectRe: Permanent Kgdb integration into the kernel - lets get with it.
    On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 11:30 -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 14:24:10 -0800 Piet Delaney wrote:

    > > > Was that because with recent enough tools and config options there was
    > > > enough annotations so GDB could finally figure out where things had
    > > > stopped? Thanks.
    > >
    > > The reason Linus said he didn't allow George's kgdb mm patch to
    > > be integrating into the kernel a year or two ago was that Amit and
    > > George had significantly different implementations. So Amit, Tom,
    > > George, and the rest of the kgdb development gang worked together
    > > and came up with a unified version that we now support on SourceForge.
    > >
    > > Tom rolled up a mm patch back in December for Andrew and then the
    > > integration process stopped. I suggest we work together on getting
    > > the kgdb patch back into the mm series and permanently into the kernel
    > > like the kexec code and then we can avoid this kernel development
    > > obfuscation.
    >
    > Hi,
    > Is there any movement on this?

    Hi Randy:

    Jason Wessel <jason.wessel@windriver.com> is currently leading yet
    another attempt at getting kgdb permanently into the kernel. Jason
    has a linux2_6_21 patch on SourceForge:

    http://kgdb.cvs.sourceforge.net/kgdb/kgdb-2/8250.patch?view=log&pathrev=linux2_6_21_uprev

    and has been working with Sergei Shtylyov <sshtylyov@ru.mvista.com>
    recently on getting KGDBOE Netpoll patches that got lost around the
    time of Tom's attempt. Just on Monday there were a dozen posting to
    the source forge mailing list:

    kgdb-bugreport@lists.sourceforge.net

    on this effort.

    I'd like to see a git repository on kernel.org that is used to update
    the mainstream kernel. Unfortunately getting accounts on kernel.org is
    next to impossible. If Jason doesn't have one yet it would be nice to
    offer him one for the kgdb developers to use.

    I agree with Andi that the kgdb code seems to be getting more
    complicated that needed thought I don't find the hooks offensive.
    Here I keep my kgdb hooks completely under #ifdef KGDB, so there
    is absolutely no difference to the kernel when KGDB isn't configured.
    I also like having debug printks, similar to the SOCK_DEBUG() macros,
    to make it easy to watch kgdb internals in action. Ya can't run kgdb
    on itself.

    I find these blemish's a minor concern compared to the damage/lost
    of not integrating kgdb into the kernel permanently. When developers
    can't rely on using kgdb for easy development they tend to write code
    without consideration for what it's like using their code with the
    debugger. Linux is making a major headway into $100 embedded systems;
    the recent use in the Linksys WRT54GL (DD-WRT) and Engenius EOC-3220
    for example. Making kgdb easily accessible will make the viability of
    using Linux for embedded system greatly increased, IMHO.

    Perhaps with a bit of support from the kernel.org folks we could get
    the kgdb patch, with all of it's blemishes, into Andrews 2.6.21-rc7-mm1
    patch. Accounts on kernel.org for kgdb developers would be a modest
    effort. I find the CVS patch framework rather clumsy and would rather
    follow the KISS principle and just use git repositories like the rest
    of the kernel developers appear to be using.

    -piet

    --
    Piet Delaney Phone: (408) 200-5256
    Blue Lane Technologies Fax: (408) 200-5299

      Last update: 2007-04-21 01:09    [W:0.030 / U:94.384 seconds]