SubjectRe: Renice X for cpu schedulers
Con Kolivas wrote:
s go ahead and think up great ideas for other ways of metering out cpu
> bandwidth for different purposes, but for X, given the absurd simplicity of
> renicing, why keep fighting it? Again I reiterate that most users of SD have
> not found the need to renice X anyway except if they stick to old habits of
> make -j4 on uniprocessor and the like, and I expect that those on CFS and
> Nicksched would also have similar experiences.

Just plain "make" (no -j2 or -j9999) is enough to kill interactivity
on my 2GHz P-M single-core non-HT machine with SD.
But with the very first posted version of CFS by Ingo,
I can do "make -j2" no problem and still have a nicely interactive destop.

-ml

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans