SubjectRe: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair Scheduler [CFS]
William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> * Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>>> Yes, there are potential compatibility problems. Example: a machine
>>> with 100 busy httpd processes and suddenly a big gzip starts up from
>>> console or cron.
> [...]
>
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 08:38:10AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> hmmmm. How about the following then: default to nice -10 for all
>> (SCHED_NORMAL) kernel threads and all root-owned tasks. Root _is_
>> special: root already has disk space reserved to it, root has special
>> memory allocation allowances, etc. I dont see a reason why we couldnt by
>> default make all root tasks have nice -10. This would be instantly loved
>> by sysadmins i suspect ;-)
>> (distros that go the extra mile of making Xorg run under non-root could
>> also go another extra one foot to renice that X server to -10.)
>
> I'd further recommend making priority levels accessible to kernel threads
> that are not otherwise accessible to processes, both above and below
> user-available priority levels. Basically, if you can get SCHED_RR and
> SCHED_FIFO to coexist as "intimate scheduler classes," then a SCHED_KERN
> scheduler class can coexist with SCHED_OTHER in like fashion, but with
> availability of higher and lower priorities than any userspace process
> is allowed, and potentially some differing scheduling semantics. In such
> a manner nonessential background processing intended not to ever disturb
> userspace can be given priorities appropriate to it (perhaps even con's
> SCHED_IDLEPRIO would make sense), and other, urgent processing can be
> given priority over userspace altogether.
>
> I believe root's default priority can be adjusted in userspace as
> things now stand somewhere in /etc/ but I'm not sure of the specifics.
> Word is somewhere in /etc/security/limits.conf

This is sounding very much like System V Release 4 (and descendants)
except that they call it SCHED_SYS and also give SCHED_NORMAL tasks that
are in system mode dynamic priorities in the SCHED_SYS range (to avoid
priority inversion, I believe).

Peter
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@bigpond.net.au