SubjectRe: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair Scheduler [CFS]
On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 11:26:21PM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 11:09:55PM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> >> All things are not equal; they all have different properties. I like
>
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 08:15:03AM +0200, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > Exactly. So we have to explore those properties and evaluate performance
> > (in all meanings of the word). That's only logical.
>
> Any chance you'd be willing to put down a few thoughts on what sorts
> of standards you'd like to set for both correctness (i.e. the bare
> minimum a scheduler implementation must do to be considered valid
> beyond not oopsing) and performance metrics (i.e. things that produce
> numbers for each scheduler you can compare to say "this scheduler is
> better than this other scheduler at this.").

Yeah I guess that's the hard part :)

For correctness, I guess fairness is an easy one. I think that unfairness
is basically a bug and that it would be very unfortunate to merge something
unfair. But this is just within the context of a single runqueue... for
better or worse, we allow some unfairness in multiprocessors for performance
reasons of course.

Latency. Given N tasks in the system, an arbitrary task should get
onto the CPU in a bounded amount of time (excluding events like freak
IRQ holdoffs and such, obviously -- ie. just considering the context
of the scheduler's state machine).

I wouldn't like to see a significant drop in any micro or macro
benchmarks or even worse real workloads, but I could accept some if it
means haaving a fair scheduler by default.

Now it isn't actually too hard to achieve the above, I think. The hard bit
is trying to compare interactivity. Ideally, we'd be able to get scripted
dumps of login sessions, and measure scheduling latencies of key proceses
(sh/X/wm/xmms/firefox/etc). People would send a dump if they were having
problems with any scheduler, and we could compare all of them against it.
Wishful thinking!

  Last update: 2007-04-17 09:05    [W:0.466 / U:0.096 seconds]