    SubjectRe: ZFS with Linux: An Open Plea
    On Tuesday 17 April 2007 09:47:32 Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Theodore Tso wrote:
    > [..]
    > > Well, that was totally useless answer from the ZFS developers. What
    > > he should have told you is to contact Sun management, since they are
    > > the only ones who can decide whether or not to release ZFS under a GPL
    > > license, and more importantly, to give a patent license for any
    > > patents they may have filed in the course of developing ZFS. This is
    > > not anything Linux developers can help you with.
    > Realy can't or don't want (?)

    As it has been explained to you before it is "can't"

    > So who is responsible for potential changing Linux code licensing for
    > allow if not incorporate CDDL code correct interraction without breaking
    > some law ?

    If I've parsed this query correctly the answer is: Linux is licensed under the
    GPL and because a number of people that have contributed code to it can no
    longer agree to a change in the license because they have died this cannot be
    changed. That was explained quite clearly in several mails as well.

    > And/or what Linux can loose on follow this king changes ?
    > And/or why Linux code licensing can't evolve ? Seems when Linux code was
    > licensed noone was thinking about case like interraction with code under
    > license like CDDL so why now it can be corrected and still many people try
    > to think like "anything arond Linux must evolve .. but not Linux" (?)

    When Linux was licensed under the GPL there was only *ONE* real choice for
    licensing it. Linus released the code under the GPL and there it has
    remained, with Linus leading development. If Linux had *NOT* been released
    under the GPL it would not be as popular or as powerful as it is - and that
    is not an opinion but a statement of fact.

    > Why this can't be fixes ?

    See the previous statement and several previous mails in this thread. Linux is
    licensed under the GPL, it is the *only* license agreed to by everyone that
    has contributed code. If I remember the statistics, there have been something
    like 10,000 different people that have contributed code. Since each
    contributor holds the copyright on their code they are the *ONLY* people that
    could change the license on it. Anyone attempting to change the license
    without agreement from *everyone* that has contributed code to the kernel
    they are in violation of US and international copyright laws.

    > If in this ponit in Linux "evniroment" can't be chaged .. sorry but is it
    > not kind of hipocritics ?

    Nope. You've just ignored it when it was explained *why* the existing ZFS code
    cannot be simply be ported to Linux. If you really need ZFS on linux, might I
    suggest that you port the code on your own and maintain whatever patches are
    needed to use it? As it stands ZFS *might* show up in Linux as a from-scratch
    implementation, although I stress the "might" because there are patents

    (Now please, drop the subject - IMNSHO it is never going to happen)

      Last update: 2007-04-17 18:25    [W:0.025 / U:13.028 seconds]