    SubjectRe: RFC: initramfs unpack point and rules
    Al Viro <viro@ftp.linux.org.uk> writes:

    > Nope. The point is to have it as early as possible, so that we had more
    > or less normal environment when drivers, etc. are being initialized.

    But traditionally the "normal environment" is a root fs not yet
    mounted. Do the drivers need initramfs? Which drivers?

    In both cases it's a bit before /sbin/init (or /init) is launched,
    udevd isn't running and firmware can't be loaded.

    OTOH when something goes wrong before console drivers are initialized,
    nothing can be seen. And with initramfs (especially with the external
    one) it's easy to screw something.
    --
    Krzysztof Halasa