    SubjectRe: I give up
    On Tuesday 10 April 2007, Phillip Susi wrote:
    >Gene Heskett wrote:
    >> YOU Tell the tar people, they are flabbergasted that linux is
    >> apparently the only unstable OS that tar can be run on.
    >How about cygwin/windows? It has no concept of static device numbers.
    >And what about external usb disks on any other unix os? Surely they
    >don't have static minor device numbers in the face of hot plugging?
    >The bug is in tar and that is what needs fixed. It should not attach
    >any meaning to the device number, but rather should assume that the
    >admin knows what he is doing when he said to backup a given path using a
    >given incremental backup log, and that he isn't yanking tar's chain and
    >pointing it to a different path between incremental backups.

    I violently agree on that point, but the limited conversations I've had
    with the tar maintainer so far indicates that AFAHIC, its linux that's
    broken. A new device number is a new disk and must be treated as such.

    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
    "I'll listen to reason when it comes out on CD."

      Last update: 2007-04-11 06:05    [W:0.041 / U:120.912 seconds]