    SubjectRe: If not readdir() then what?
    On Tuesday April 10, trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no wrote:
    > The problem is that it is extremely hard to come up with an alternative
    > that doesn't impose new conditions on what filesystems you can support.

    I seem to remember Hans Reiser making a credible suggestion years ago
    when NFSv4 was still in draft. It didn't fly, but I don't really
    remember why.

    The NFS server gets to either return a cookie like it currently does,
    or sets a flag (or maybe returns a special cookie) which says 'just
    use the name'.
    A READDIR request contains either a cookie or a filename. Either mean
    "This identifies the last name I got from you, give me the next one".

    Is there something that makes that interface problematic?

    NeilBrown

      Last update: 2007-04-10 23:15    [W:4.149 / U:0.220 seconds]