    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] RSDL completely fair starvation free interactive cpu scheduler
    On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 10:31:48PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Bill Davidsen wrote:
    > > Please, could you now rethink plugable scheduler as well? Even if one had to
    > > be chosen at boot time and couldn't be change thereafter, it would still allow
    > > a few new thoughts to be included.
    > No. Really.
    > I absolutely *detest* pluggable schedulers. They have a huge downside:
    > they allow people to think that it's ok to make special-case schedulers.
    > And I simply very fundamentally disagree.

    This is where I have to respectfully disagree. There are types of loads
    that aren't covered in SCHED_OTHER. They are typically certain real time
    loads and those folks (regardless of -rt patch) would benefit greatly
    from having something like that in place. Those scheduler developers can
    plug in (at compile time) their work without having to track and forward
    port their code constantly so that non-SCHED_OTHER policies can be
    experimented with easily.

    This is especially so with rate monotonic influenced schedulers that are
    in the works by real time folks, stock kernel or not. This is about
    making Linux generally accessible to those folks and not folks doing
    SCHED_OTHER work. They are orthogonal.

      Last update: 2007-03-09 08:07    [W:0.019 / U:1.908 seconds]