SubjectRe: refcounting drivers' data structures used in sysfs buffers
On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 8. März 2007 17:02 schrieb Alan Stern:
> > On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > after a lightning bolt from high above I've been looking into refcounting
> > > the data structures drivers use to provide the data used to refill sysfs
> > > buffers. I've come to the following conclusion.
> > >
> > > 1. struct sysfs_buffer must have a struct kref * and probably a destructor
> > > pointer
> > > 2. drivers must be able to pass these pointers through an extended
> > > device_create_file()
> > > 3. Drivers must use refcounting if they want to use attributes
> > > 4. read/write/poll must do refcounting
> > >
> > > I am not sure where to store the pointers. struct sysfs_dirent() looks
> > > like the obvious choice. Comments?
> >
> > Can you explain the reasoning that led to these conclusions? And what
> > exactly was your lightning bolt?
>
> The old race between disconnect and IO to attribute via sysfs again.
> If I cannot disassociate the drivers from the buffers in the buffers, drivers
> must not deallocate the data necessary to answer sysfs callbacks while
> a buffer exists.

Why wouldn't you be able to dissociate a driver from a buffer? That was
the whole point of adding .orphan to sysfs_buffer and creating
sysfs_buffer_collection -- it was supposed to solve exactly this race.

Alan Stern

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans