    SubjectRe: hardwired VMI crap
    Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > Once you are there, you are near the point where you created a virtual
    > architecture, which could run on any real architecture which gets
    > supported by a hypervisor backend.
    >
    > I'd love that :)

    Sure. But not even hypervisors. Once we sort out pv_ops's SMP support,
    it will be this >< close to covering everything in the subarch
    interface. So we can drop all that goo in favour of paravirt_ops, and
    make a single kernel that will boot on everything from voyager to
    numa-q! How's that for world peace?

    > I know it is tricky to combine this with the upcoming hardware
    > virtualization support. But it's at least a worthwhile thought
    > experiment.

    Well, in many ways that's a step backwards. The upside is that its
    easier to get away with simply emulating the some particular piece
    hardware, but it does lose a lot of opportunities for interesting
    flexibility and optimisations.

    But I anticipate we'll get a xen-hvm pv_ops backend, for running under
    Xen with a virtualizing cpu. It will probably look a lot like kvm's
    pv_ops backend.

      Last update: 2007-03-09 01:47    [W:6.835 / U:0.064 seconds]