SubjectRe: hardwired VMI crap
Ingo Molnar wrote:

>> [...] And apparently the VMI version is the same, just with some short
>> cuts. Are you just worried about the ->apic_write() hooks or about
>> something else too?
>>

> i'm worried about those "shot cuts" (which in essence create software
> variants of silicon), the hooks, the hardwirings combined with the
> hypervisor-side ABIs creating a rigid mess that is harmful to Linux.
> paravirt_ops and the hooks gives a license for all hypervisor 'backends'
> to deviate into random arbitrary directions and to create all their
> separate 'virtual silicon' playgrounds with no regard to Linux
> maintainability. And once this gets released, Linux has no choice but to
> play along.

What? And creating a high level API which allows you to implement
totally random silicon with oodles of quirks and obfuscated
implementation requirements creates more maintainability how? We tried
to stay as close as possible to the hardware ABI on purpose,
specifically so we don't need to introduce 100 new concepts into the kernel.

Zaccch

  Last update: 2007-03-08 23:39    [W:0.076 / U:0.464 seconds]