    SubjectRe: passing function pointers through platform devices?
    Date
    > I'm developing an SPI- bus >MMC/SD block driver translation layer.

    Another one? There's already been significant work in that area. See for
    example

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=117000652529003&w=2

    Which admittedly didn't behave when I just put it onto my test rig,
    but seems nonetheless to be a significant step forward. It's not like
    everyone has hardware that can use such a driver after all!

    > As part of this layer the write protect and card detect lines need to be read.
    > The method for determining the state of these lines will be board specific.

    Example, one usually wants card detect to be an IRQ, to avoid polling...

    > Is it appropriate to pass a function pointer through a platform device
    > (declared in the mach initialization) to implement card_available and
    > write_protect function calls?

    That's how it's done in that patch. The model being what the PXA MMC/SD
    card driver does, since that's the most generic model I found ... handling
    for example systems which need to poll for card detect, as well as ones
    that can use real gpio based IRQs. The mmc_spi driver doesn't need to know
    which kind of platform it's got.

    - Dave

      Last update: 2007-03-07 19:47    [W:0.047 / U:0.168 seconds]