SubjectRe: [RFC] Heads up on sys_fallocate()
On Wed, 7 March 2007 09:51:35 +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
> I'll probably first write some userspace fs-reorganizer to find out how
> much these changes in layout are able to give you in performance (i.e.
> whether it's worth the effort of more complicated kernel online
> defragmenter).

Have tried profiling the read accesses and prereading them
asynchronously on startup? That appears to have improved E17 a lot.
See (and watch the video).

The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size of
his own skull; therefore he approaches the programming task in full
humility, and among other things he avoids clever tricks like the plague.
-- Edsger W. Dijkstra