    SubjectRe: [patch 4/6] mm: merge populate and nopage into fault (fixes nonlinear)
    On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 11:38 +0100, Nick Piggin wrote:

    > > > There are real users who want these fast, though.
    > >
    > > Yeah, why don't we have a tree per nonlinear vma to find these pages?
    > >
    > > wli mentions shadow page tables..
    >
    > We could do something more efficient, but I thought that half the point
    > was that they didn't carry any of this extra memory, and they could be
    > really fast to set up at the expense of efficiency elsewhere.

    I'm failing to understand this :-(

    That extra memory, and apparently they don't want the inefficiency
    either.

    > I don't see it being a big deal. I doubt anybody is writing out huge
    > amounts of data via nonlinear mappings.

    Well, now they don't, but it could be done or even exploited as a DoS.

      Last update: 2007-03-07 11:51    [W:0.018 / U:0.560 seconds]