    SubjectRe: Xen & VMI?

    * Zachary Amsden <> wrote:

    > > > reduces the QA effort. You still have 5 Hypervisors you have to
    > > > test against.
    > >
    > > yes, just like we have thousands of separate PC boards to support.
    > > But as long as the basic ABI is the same, the QA effort on the Linux
    > > kernel side is alot more focused. (Distros still have
    > > 18446744073709551616 total combinations to QA, and have to make an
    > > educated guess to reduce that to a more manageable number.)
    > But hardware PC boards don't do anything as remotely complicate as
    > changing the semantics required for correctness in you MMU
    > implementation. [...]

    ugh, PC boards are actually far worse and far more diverse than any
    variances between hypervisors, but i digress.

    anyway, my point stands: the Linux kernel is significantly more
    maintainable and easier to QA if it has only a single 'external'
    hypervisor ABI to worry about - and that might as well be VMI. This is a
    really obvious point, i expected the discussion to center more around
    the specifics of such a move ;-)

      Last update: 2007-03-06 10:15    [W:0.022 / U:23.260 seconds]