SubjectRe: [rtc-linux] Re: 2.6.21-rc2 : Oops in rtc_cmos...
Date
On Tuesday 06 March 2007 12:50 pm, Alessandro Zummo wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 11:32:28 -0800
> David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > > on then... My dmesg says, related to rtc :

> > > rtc_cmos 00:03: rtc core: registered rtc_cmos as rtc0
> >
> > I think the RTC core shouldn't emit this message; I'll send
> > a patch. It's just confusing on error paths; and on success
> > paths it's less informative than a message from the driver
> > itself could be.
>
> I would like a way to have a common "welcome" message among
> all the drivers. Please take this into account if you want
> to send a patch ;)

Well, I already sent such a patch. :)

I don't much object to such a message, although it's not
necessary ... and "not necessary" is all but synonymous
with being syslog spam.

> > > What does this all mean ? I thought an RTC Cmos was always there on a
> > > standard PC motherboard... (that's why I had activated the option in the
> > > first time).
> >
> > You enabled CONFIG_RTC (under char drivers, "Enhanced Real Time Clock Support")
> > so that driver has claimed the CMOS RTC instead of "rtc-cmos.c". Disable it.
> > Then you'll be able to use this driver with no little surprises.
>
> maybe we should consider this in the Kconfig.

Kconfig for both drivers, ideally: select one, the other becomes unavailable.
Someone could generate such a patch...

- Dave

  Last update: 2007-03-06 23:43    [W:0.065 / U:0.164 seconds]