SubjectRe: Xen & VMI?
Nakajima, Jun wrote:
> Anthony Liguori wrote:

>>> yes - although obviously a KVM Linux guest does not need such an
>>> interface - but it's a nice proof of concept to integrate other guest
>>> OSs into KVM.
>>>
>> I disagree that a KVM Linux guest does not benefit from VMI. Right
>> now, your KVM paravirt interface only covers CR3 target caching and
>> apic enhancements (neither of which I believe have made it into
>> 2.6.21). Inevitably, things like MMU batching will be added.
>>

> I think a KVM Linux would benefit more from paravirt ops, rather than
> VMI.

Functionally speaking, the only difference between using VMI and
paravirt_ops is that with VMI you redirect the paravirt_ops to a ROM
area. This has the following effects:

1) you cannot call back into Linux from the op implementation
2) you can change the implementation of the op w/o rebuilding the kernel

1 & 2 are trade-offs. For everything that KVM can do wrt
paravirtualization, there really isn't a need for #1 at the moment. Xen
is much more challenging to do with VMI as there are a lot of instances
where #1 is quite useful. I think you pretty much have to target
paravirt_ops for Xen.

> The higher-level interface such as the one in Xen, espeically for
> I/O, interrupt controllers, timer, SMP, etc. actually simplifies the
> implementation of the VMM,

Right, but those higher-level interfaces can certainly be implemented
within the context of a VMI rom. For instance, VMI already defines a
paravirtual timer. In the case of interrupt control, it just provides
hooks for APIC reads/writes with the assumption (presumably) that the
ROM will implement APIC emulation and bridge to whatever the hypervisor
abstraction is.

> and improve performance of the guest. Even
> for MMU, direct page tables, for example, would work better for
> hardware-based virtualization because the processor can use the native
> page tables.

Direct paging is a whole other can of worms. Fortunately, EPT and NPT
will eliminate the need to worry about this in the future for things
like KVM/HVM :-)

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

>> Using paravirt_ops, this is going to require new kernels for the
>> guests. Every new paravirtualization feature will require a new
>> guest kernel. With VMI, one can add these features to any 2.6.21+
>> guest by just modifying the ROM (assuming a newer host). Some
>> features will require new VMI entry points but quite a lot will fall
>> under the current entry points.
>>
>> Of all the hypervisors, KVM is the easiest to use VMI with. QEMU
>> already supports option ROM loading and Zach just made some changes to
>> allow a native ROM to be implemented very easily.
>>
>> If we're going to use VMI for anything other than VMware, it seems to
>> be that KVM should be what we use it for.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Anthony Liguori
>>

>>> Ingo
>>>

> Jun
> ---
> Intel Open Source Technology Center

  Last update: 2007-03-06 18:35    [W:0.075 / U:0.012 seconds]